What Has WINGS Done Lately?
WINGS (Women In Government Services)
Published by Malinda Miles · February 20 · Mount Rainier · A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
Since working to re-energize Women in Government Services for the past five years, I have had some of the old guard ask the question "Well why should I pay dues to WINGS, what have they done?" I could not help but LOL because that is the question I used to ask about WINGS years ago before it almost completely collapsed.
Needless to say, I had an answer, statistics, and proof of what WINGS had been doing and was doing at that time and has continued to do since then. I just found it interesting that the old guard raised the question, but had done NOTHING to help keep WINGS alive and still is doing nothing.
My Mother use to say if you live in a glass house you probably should not throw stones. WELL WINGS IS NOT A GLASS HOUSE and here is what we have been doing for the past six years.
1. WINGS has provided the opportunity for more than six (6) women to attend the MML Summer Convention. This means that WINGS paid for hotel, registration and meals for more than six women to attend the MML Convention and network with other women.
2. WINGS Executive Committee has met almost every month since July 2010.
3. Written records and reports have been kept and publicized to not just the dues paying members but every elected woman that we were able to contact using the list provided by MML.
4. WINGS has had a booth on MML's Main Street almost every year with information on WINGS, membership, scholarships, etc.
5. A WINGS brochure has been developed and distributed during that time and is still being requested and circulated
6. Membership cards have been developed and are distributed to all dues paying members.
7. WINGS has a fully functioning website that is kept pretty much up-to-date, and visitors can send questions, comments and other information to WINGS leadership.
8. WINGS has an active FACEBOOK PAGE where information is frequently posted.
9. WINGS has a presence on the world wide web and can be googled by any interested party.
10. Information about WINGS and WINGS activities is tweeted almost weekly.
11. Women across Maryland are getting the message that WINGS is a viable organization even if they have not joined.
12. Hosted a WINGS meeting at MML's summer convention EVERY YEAR! Hosted at least a few WINGS meetings at the MML Fall Conference.
WINGS Executive Board is fully functioning, and planning for the upcoming MML Summer Conference and is hosting the First Annul Breakfast on June 29, 2016, 8:30 am in Room 215 at the Ocean City Convention Center.
WINGS will be bringing two more women to Ocean City for the MML Convention.
WINGS has a booth on Main Street in booth space 707 and will be raffling off two gift baskets to two lucky winners.
AND NO WE HAVE NOT broken the bank. We have had at least one sponsor to bring two women to MML's Summer Conference.
We have had some membership dues coming in, and we have been able to negotiate terms and conditions with hotels including comp rooms.
SO WHAT HAS WINGS BEEN DOING? Looking for ways to involve more women in municipal government. Providing opportunities for women to network, and carrying out the Mission and Vision of WINGS!
If you are a municipal elected woman and want the support of other women, WINGS is a good place to start. Dues are only $25. but the reward is so much greater.
Contact Councilmember Tonya Harrison, , WINGS Secretary to get an application -- 3701 Lawrence Street, Colmar Manor, MD 20722. Or you may send your dues in NOW to Councilmember Regina Morlan at the same address.
WINGS look forward to working with you and seeing you at the MML Conference in Solomon Island, MD in October 2016.